bigger is better. at least when you're melting copper.

>> Tuesday, March 22, 2011

i think i am destined not to sleep.  oh well.  means that i had a little extra time to research copper and how to set it on fire.  and i have a possible solution to my problem.  i have to go bigger............ in that i need a bigger torch.  *insert evil villain's laugh here and find the fire extinguisher*

my initial problem started because i assumed that copper wire would respond to the flame in the same way that sterling, argentium and fine silver does.  while copper does have a relatively low melt temperature (around 1900 degrees F) it is also an excellent heat conductor (hence its use in electrical, thermal and building applications) which sucks for me because this means that the metal draws the heat faster than i can supply it via my small handheld torch.  it also results in the wire "breaking" before the ball is completely formed at the end of my wire.  eureka!

apparently, a larger torch works even better and with a little tweaking of my technique, should get me the results that i want.  so today, i'm off to home depot and grabbing myself something bigger and hotter.  (that would be a plumber's torch.  get your mind out of the gutter.)

1 comments:

Anonymous,  March 22, 2011 at 9:23 AM  

still don't get why this isn't your full time gig. your work is wonderful.

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Web Development Services

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP