somebody i used to know.

>> Tuesday, January 31, 2012



so i've listened to this song about a hundred times in the last couple of days.  goyte - aka wouter "wally" de backer - is a belgian/australian singer and songwriter who broke silverchair's reign as simultaneously holding the number 1 album and single spot with this song.  while i do like the first release from his independently released album "making mirrors" (see it here) this song beckons to me in a different way.  it's kind of like a blend of the police, sufjan stevens, with a little YES in there (i don't know why, but there's something in the song that reminds me of "owner of a lonely heart".)

it's also one of the best dissections of a relationship that i've heard in a long time - girl and boy fall in love, girl and boy don't work out, girl and boy decide they can be friends, then one of them decide to totally cut the other one out, much to the bewilderment of the other party.  i am not one to stay friends with my exes (seriously, i barely have time for people i like, much less an old boyfriend) and i have been known to let communication die a slow, natural death, but i've never had to send a friend over to collect my records from an ex. 

now that i think about it though, i'd never take records over to a non-permanent boyfriend's house - primarily because of this.  lol.  it would be sort of heartbreaking if my classic vinyl copy of the cure's "boys don't cry" was languishing in the basement of someone that i used to know.

2 comments:

Anne-Marie January 31, 2012 at 8:36 AM  

Reminds me of a strategy my best friend in college helped me employ--when Facebook first came out (we were at Barnard, Columbia's women's college, so we got it fast and were obsessed), the button to change one's relationship status said "Cancel Relationship." After congratulating ourselves on never having had to "cancel" a relationship, we were "in a relationship" with each other for like five years to avoid ever having to do so.

I am also the type to have never left so much as a toothbrush at a boyfriend's house (on purpose) and, even if given shelf space, to not bring anything I couldn't live without. That sounds kind of commitment-phobic when I write it out, but I did get married at age 24, so phobia wasn't it. Just hatred of pain and awkwardness!

Kat of EmKatCreations January 31, 2012 at 9:26 AM  

I do enjoy this song very very much. It just feels so real. I have lot quite a few things during breakups.

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Web Development Services

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP