facebook. srsly.

>> Saturday, April 30, 2011

photo courtesy of starblogger
of course i have a facebook account.  everyone does.  however, i have to say that i am not nearly as obsessed with facebook as some of the people i know (seriously, J?) and i really don't understand the merits.  my account is under an alias - having a relatively unusual name makes me a little more easy to find and there are definitely people out there that i would rather not have in my life again. if you're in my life, you're already in it and you don't have to find me on facebook. maybe i'm anti-social, maybe i'm a snob, maybe i'm just a jerk, but that's just how it is.  i even tried maintaining a facebook page for the jewelry making stuff, but i just don't get it.  ( i suppose i really should look into it - from a business perspective, anyway.)  my sister K, an avid "facebook-er" often sends me messages through there - which i only get weeks later when i think about logging in.

the husband recently reactivated his facebook account and in the space of about 8 hours, uploaded about a million pictures, joined a bunch of "groups" and had contacted more "friends" than i have in the entire time i have had mine. not that it's a popularity contest or anything, but it made me think about the fact that we live in this crazy digital age where you don't even have to speak to someone to be "friends" with them - you can actually have an entire relationship with someone on facebook.  you can "stalk" someone via facebook - even if it is just to see what they look like now or where they are working.  it boggles my brain.  and makes me feel kind of sad that the whole human, face-to-face contact thing can actually be reduced to your facebook status update.

(that being said, i totally screen my phone calls, am hopelessly addicted to my BlackBerry, prefer love letters and would rather txt or email.  what does THAT say about me?)

2 comments:

Anonymous,  April 30, 2011 at 9:56 AM  

I'm with you on this one, I have NEVER had a facebook account as I am definitely hiding from my past. If I want someone still in my life then they are! And srsly, what would we do without texting? Unlimited plan much? xoxo

Anonymous,  May 4, 2011 at 10:41 PM  

Haha. Srsly.

J :)

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Web Development Services

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP